After Christmas we often have invités for breakfast, brunch or dinner. We always prepare a lot of different spreads and I bake bread rolls and/or some sweet pastries and so we did last week as our friends from Krems came over for brunch. I wanted to try a new recipe and so I looked for one in “Brot selbst gebacken”, a cookbook that Nadja offered me for Christmas (thank you!!). I found this lovely Quinoa bread roll recipe and thought that it would be good for brunch (and it was!). This Quinoa bread rolls are vegan. For all of you who speak German: http://www.thalia.at/shop/home/rubrikartikel/ID32144819.html?ProvID=10907922. In this link you can find a description! I have almost baked another bread from this book which Í will also present you this week. And as it is the last day of 2013, I wish you all a Happy New Year. Have a open mind about trying new things, keep well and fit and of course: bake a lot!
- 150g quinoa
- 42g fresh yeast
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 3 tablespoons + 250g spelt flour (type 630)
- 6 tablespoons + 150ml warm water (attention: I only needed about 50ml but it depends on the flour you use)
- 250g whole rye flour
- 1 package dry sourdough (15g)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 tablespoons oil
- Cook the quino in plenty of water for 25 minutes. Remove from water, dry and allow to cool for a while. Combine fresh yeast, sugar, 3 tablespoons spelt flour and 6 tablespoons warm water until there are no crumbs left. It should be a liquid mixture. Leave for 10 minutes.
- Combine 250g spelt flour, whole rye flour, dry sourdough and salt. Mix together oil and water (I only needed about 50ml). Add the yeast mixture, quino, and the water-oil mixture to the flour mixture. Knead for about 8 minutes. Add more water or flour if needed. Leave on a warm place for about 2 hours. It should have the double of it’s old size by now.
- Form 12 bread rolls put them on a baking tray coverd with parchment paper and cut each one three times. cover and leave for 1 hour. Preheat the oven to 250°C. Place the baking tray in the middle of the iven and bake for 10 minutes. Lower to 190°C and bake for another 20 minutes.
You can eat this bread rolls either with a sweet or a salty spread! Or cheese! (: