I preapred this cake on the 25th of december for my half sister’s birthday. The chocolate and sour cherry traybake is her favorite and it used to be mine as well when I was little. This traybake is made without flour. It only contains bread crumbs. So: if you are allergic to gluten, simply use gluten free bread crumbs and this cake is totally gluten free. The recipe is from my grandmother. She makes it with hazelnuts but I prefer walnuts so I use ground walnuts instead. You can top it with icing sugar if you want to and maybe serve it with whipped cream.
- 600-700g pitted sour cherrys
- 190g butter
- 190g sugar (I normaly use less)
- 150g ground hazelnuts (I use walnuts, you can use any nuts you like)
- 90g chocolate
- 75g bread crumbs
- 6 eggs (seperated)
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Remove the butter from the fridge 1 hour before you start baking.
- Whisk the egg whites until stiff while adding the sugar.
- Melt the chocolate.
- In another bowl, combine the egg yolks, soft butter, ground hazelnuts (walnuts), melted chocolate, and bread crumbs until smooth.
- Add the mixture to the egg whites. Carefully stir with a rubber spatula until everything comes together.
- Add the sour cherrys and carefully incorporate them.
- Bake for about 35 minutes.
- Top with icing sugar and serve with whipped cream if you want! (: