I found this recipe on ‘essential vegan‘. It’s a website with vegan recipes only, which my friend Niki showed me. She first sent me the link to a huge delicious cake from this site and it looked so good that I asked my mother to bake it for my birthday, even though my birthday is in february. Well so I looked through this site and found this recipe which is perfect for summer because that’s the only season in which you can easily get really good strawberries in Austria. For this pie I used a super sweet small pie form with a removeable base which I bought in a small baking shop in Sweden. I always so happy when I get the chance to use it, I don’t know why actually, guess I just really like this baking pan. (;
150g all-purpose flour
8 tbsp spread/vegan margarine (I used vegan margarine)
2 tbsp light brown sugar
400g strawberries sliced
55g light brown sugar
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 1/2 tbsp cornstarch
1 tsp vanilla
- Place all the ingredients except the water in a bowl. Using a fork, mix the ingredients.
- Then slowly drizzle the cold water, a tablespoon at a time, over the flour, mixing with the fork quickly until the dough starts to clear the sides of the bowl and comes together.
- Divide the dough into two parts, one slightly bigger the the other and place each half in cling wrap, shaping into a disc as you wrap.
- Place both dough discs in the refrigerator for one hour.
- Mix in all the ingredients and stir gently
- Set aside for 15 minutes.
Putting the pie together
- Take the bigger discs from the fridge and roll it out to about 12 inches, using as much flour as you need to keep it from sticking to the surface. Keep moving the dough as you roll it to ensure it does not stick.
- Open the dough on to a greased 8 inches round spring form pie pan.
- Pour the filling into the crust. Place the baking tray into the refrigerator while you prepare the top crust using the second disc of dough.
- Open the second disc and use a small cookie cutter in any shape to cut out little pieces of the dough.
- Arrange the shapes on top of the strawberries in a decorative pattern
- Sprinkle 1 tbsp of light brown sugar on the crust. This gives some additional sweetness and helps the crust brown.
- Bake it at 180c for 1 hour.
- When ready let the pie pan cool thoroughly before cutting and serving.
Noemi & Nadja