A couple of days ago I baked this wonderful bread with my friend Niki. As she is obsessed with heathy nourishment such as I am, she asked if I would want to prepare this bread which she found in a cookbook for healthy cooking and baking. I bought all the ingredients in a supermarket for organic food where I always do the food shopping with my mother. It was the first time that Niki and I prepared this bread and I have to say that it worked really good! I wouldn’t change anything about recipe, the bread tasted so good and it’s very healthy! 🙂
Ingredients (makes 2 loafs of bread of 800g)
- 500g mixed grains (such as wheat, oat, rye, barleyor spelt)*
- 500g whole wheat flour
- 50g flax seeds
- 1 yeast cube (42g)
- 1 package organic sour dough (150g)*
- 2 raised teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoon organic bread spice mixture*
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- flour for kneading
- baking sheets
*You can find this ingredients in supermarkets for organic food!
- Grind the grains coarsely. Put 2 tablespoons of this mixture and set aside.
- Put the grinded grains, the whole wheat flour and the flax seeds into a large bowl and mix them. with your hands, carefully press a whole into the mixture. Crumb the yeast cube into the whole and mix it with 3 tablespoons of warm water.
- Add the remaining ingredients and 600ml warm water and knead the dough, using your hands or a hand mixer, until smooth and moist. Cover with a kitchen cloth. Leave it at a warm place for 1 1/2 hours.
- Knead the dough on a working surface with well floured hands. Devide the dough into two equal peaces and form them to loafs. Cover a tray with a baking sheet and place the loafs on it. Recover them with the kitchen cloth and leave them on a warm place for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C.Fill a oven-save bowl with hot water and place it in the oven. Lightly brush the loafs with water and sprinkle them with the remaining grinded grains. Bake the bread for 30 minutes. Low the heat to 180°C and bake for another 30 minutes. Put it on a wire rack to cool.