I found this recipe in the app ‘Cake Love’. After some tries I slightly changed the recipe. In the original recipe for example you use heavy cream but when I prepared it this way, the Scones became pretty dry. I think it was because the austrian heavy cream doesn’t have the same consistency as the american one. That´s why I used a mixture of milk and yoghurt instead to make them more fluffy. I like preparing Scones for brunch or for breakfast on weekends and it had became a family’s favorite breakfast treat.
- 325g unbleached all-purpose flour (you can use normal flour or whole wheat flour as well, as you prefer 🙂 )
- 75g granulated sugar
- 40g dry oats
- 100g raisins
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 170g unsalted butter, cold
- 240ml mixture of milk and yoghurt
- 1 1/2 tablespoons vanilla sugar
1) Preheat the oven to 170°C.
2) Combine the flour, granulated sugar, dry oats, raisins, salt, and baking powder in a large plastic bowl.
3) Cut the butter into cubes and place it on the flour mixture. Use your fingers to work it in. As the dough starts to look like a crumble, pour in the milk-yoghurt mixture. Knead the dough until smooth and it comes together.
4) Divide the dough into 8 to 12 dough balls (it depends on the size of your scones). Form balls, then flatten them (they should be round).
5) Cover the tray with a baking sheet and place the scones on it (leave some space between them because they will grow).
6) Combine (~) 100ml milk with the vanilla sugar. With a teaspoon, carefully cover the surface of the scones with the milk mixture.
7) Bake for about 15 to 20 minutes.